Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mountain Church

Church was canceled for everyone in the state because we were all supposed to go to the Brigham City temple dedication broadcast instead. There are a couple of problems with that. Kids under 8 years old can't go, which I think is silly. So our kids couldn't go and what are we supposed to do with them. Second, they anticipated this and scheduled a number of sessions so that parents could take turns. Which is weird because once something's dedicated, it's dedicated. The second or third one is just a show for its own sake. And third and probably most relevantly, I know I'm going to get a talking-to about this statement, but I don't like temple dedication ceremonies. They're full of rituals I don't identify with, so like with viewings of dead people before a funeral, I'm not going to participate in them. Yep, I'm not going to come to your viewing when you die. It's nothing personal, I just don't dig that ritual. Funeral, sure; viewing, nope. I'll move on before I rant on that tangent.

So in lieu of church, we took part in what our friend Miss Kris calls "mountain church." You know, we live in a pretty gorgeous deserty mountainy area, and sometimes she blows off sitting in a church building for three hours to just get some solitude and beauty. We decided to do the same thing today and go for a drive up the canyon and look at the beautiful fall leaves and maybe go for a little walk. (Run-on sentence, anyone?)



The only picture of Chelsea I shared has her intentionally small because the couple of times I got her picture, she said, "Why are you taking my picture? I look terrible." So she was there, just didn't want to be photographed.

It was lovely being up in the mountains, above the wildfire smoke that blew in from Idaho last week and just hung over the valley.

That's not all we did this weekend though. Yesterday, the kids and I went to Chalk the Block at the Riverwoods Shopping Center. It's an outdoor shopping center and they had street artists come to draw stuff and we could draw whatever we wanted on the sidewalks too. Here's Sophie's favorite drawing.

It was a good weekend and we probably won't get to do that much stuff for a little while, with Chelsea rehearsing for the Nutcracker and my school schedule.

Do something fun this next weekend and thanks to Miss Kris for giving a name to what we did this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment