Last night, I had to finish one of my last homework assignments ever. It was running through an economics simulation where the goal was to adjust the prices of rental cars in three different cities and, well, make a profit. This being a master's level course, there were obviously lots of factors we had to consider, but that's the essence of it.

I'm no stranger to simulations, since that was one of my favorite ways to entertain myself when I'd visit my dad's work. When I'd do those respiratory therapy simulations, I relied a lot on intuition, which somehow got me better scores than a very vocal chunk of Dad's students. I definitely didn't have to create multiple spreadsheets while I was doing them. Honestly, I don't think it would have helped. (Hint: request a blood gas and a CBC. Respiratory simulations seem to love it when you do that. At least, they did in the late 80s.)
But back to the simulation I worked on last night, you can see multiple spreadsheets open. That's because I was analyzing data with math and numbers and economics stuff. Because I had to write a report of my thought process and this was a good way to work it all out. It took hours. And here's my verdict. I'm not a fan of video games that involve spreadsheets and typing numbers onto a page to watch graphs redraw.
One thing I do like, though, is winning. And I'd consider a 28 million (simulated) dollar profit a win. Also, never having to do one of these in my free time on Max's birthday also sounds like a win.
No comments:
Post a Comment